Sunday, January 14, 2007

Sana Maulit Muli: My Take on the Initial Story

I was hooked the moment I saw the debut episode of ABS-CBN's new soap Sana Maulit Muli. The network giant took a great risk in topbilling showbiz newcomers Kim Chiu and Gerald Anderson in the roles of Poknat and Bokbok. But as far as the latest episode, the two have been able to hold their ground.

Every night saw me glued on the boob tube absorbing each scene with intense concentration. It makes me feel nostalgic remembering experiences of the past. I'd say that the performance of Kim and Gerald has been excellent so far. A few flaws here and there but overall, it is great.

One notable point is the consistency of the characters Poknat and Bokbok. You can really see the same person from the time they were introduced until they finally meet again. At least it shows that a lot of thought has been put into the script and that is good.

However, I find the character of Michael de Mesa a bit off, even vestigial. He seems disconnected from the entire story line. It would have been better if de Mesa's character has been scrapped altogether. The soap has been solid and convincing as far as the other characters are concerned.

I do admit though that it is still very early to concretely determine the merits of Mang Andres' character. He may yet play a pivotal part in the later installments but as of now, he is merely a nuisance. The realistic standpoint of the early episodes has been sabotaged by the introduction of this character. Until I see the point in this move, I'll remain against him.

Just my two cents.

0 comments: